envelope-oenvelopebookscartsearchmenu

UNIV 2014: “Ecology of the person and the human environment”

During Holy Week, three thousand students from over 200 universities around the world gathered in Rome for UNIV Forum 2014, the 47th year it has been held. The topic was “Ecology of the person and the human environment.” This yearly international gathering began under the impetus of St. Josemaría, who wanted to infuse in young people’s hearts a great love for the Church and the Pope.

On April 16 the students had an opportunity to take part in the Wednesday general audience with the Holy Father. At the end, the president of the Univ Forum, Oskari Juurikkala, presented Pope Francis with some letters written by elderly people from various countries who, because of their advanced age, were not able to meet the Roman Pontiff in person.

The gathering also included a Social Initiatives Forum that provided information about volunteer and solidarity projects being carried out by students throughout the world. The participants collected funds to assist various educational and health initiatives in Africa, organized by Harambee Africa International.

The international congress also included various cultural programs and round tables. Students had the opportunity to meet with the Argentinean doctor Abel Albino of the Conin Foundation against Infant Malnutrition; Esther Jimenez, director of the International Center for Work and Family at the IESE Business School; and Kishore Jayabalan, director of the Acton Institute in Rome.

Romana, n. 58, January-June 2014, p. 140.

Send to friend