envelope-oenvelopebookscartsearchmenu

Eastlands College of Technology, Nairobi, Kenya

The Eastlands College of Technology (ECT) is an institute of technology located in Nariboi, Kenya. It began in 2003 with the goal of offering professional training in the fields of technology, electronics, and communications to disadvantaged youth and the unemployed from the capital’s poorest districts. More than 5,000 students have gone through its classrooms during the first 15 years, first at its original site in the Eastlands district and, since last year, at its definitive site, which is still in the construction phase. In addition, some 500

businessmen have collaborated in a dual training program, making their businesses available so that students can combine work practice with the training received in the academic center.

In Kenya, young people make up 67% of the total unemployed population. Around 90% do not have the professional preparation needed to attain access to a job. A gap also exists between the skills that the market requires and the training that many teaching centers offer. Taking into account this reality, in 2007 Eastlands decided to specialize in training for the IT sector and communication technology. Several multinationals, including Microsoft and Samsung, have signed a cooperation agreement with the center. At present, courses are offered in electronics and electronic technology, mechanical engineering, solar installation and automotive engineering, among other courses. Three month courses are also offered to help young people who have not been able to continue their studies to find employment, as well as training courses for “micro-entrepreneurs.” The institute has exchange programs with other vocational training centers in several countries.

The college is a corporate work of the Opus Dei Prelature. Its students include Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, and Hindus. All the students receive classes in professional ethics and character formation, and those who wish can receive classes in the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Romana, n. 65, July-December 2017, p. 332-333.

Send to friend